Slyder Barn - Farms of Gettysburg
Detailed building kit for 28mm figures (1:56 scale)
Laser cut 1.6mm and 3mm HDF
Laser engraved details
Easily accessible interior with detailing
Kit supplied unassembled and unpainted
L 11-1/2” x W 8-3/4” x H 4-3/4” / 290mm x 220mm x 120mm
Detailed instructions are available for download at www.thingsfromthebasement.com!
John had moved from Maryland and bought the 75-acre farm in 1849. By the 1860’s it included a two-story stone house, barn, blacksmith and carpenter shops, an orchard of peach and pear trees, thirty acres of timber, and eighteen acres of meadow.
On July 2 Confederate General John B. Hood's Division swept across Slyder’s farm in its advance toward the Devil’s Den and Little Round Top. The crops and orchards were trampled and destroyed, and the farm buildings became a Confederate field hospital, with the family’s possessions looted or spoiled.
Two months after the battle, in September, John sold the farm and moved to Ohio.
The Slyder family had connections with other Gettysburg families. John’s wife Catherine was the sister of Lydia Leister, whose house became General Meade’s headquarters during the battle. And in October of 1863 John’s son William married Josephine Miller, the granddaughter of Peter and Susan Rogers, whose farm lay on Emmitsburg Road.